Monday, 24 March 2014

Going au naturel

Despite the occasional glimpse of Spring and temps in the high teens here in DC we keep getting yanked back into winter with below freezing days and dumps of snow. I can't believe we're forecast another dump for tomorrow. SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP. PLEASE!

The weather has played havoc with my skin. And despite slapping on my "extra-moisturising" face cream, and exfoliating religiously my skin is still just blah. My chin keeps breaking out and generally i'm a little blotchy and red all over. Fun times. So I started exploring some natural remedies online. Surely it couldn't hurt to find solace in the kitchen cupboard? And I found my winning ingredient; turmeric.

Why turmeric?
The benefits of turmeric go on and on, but a few of it's super powers for skin include:
- Antibacterial
- Anti aging
- Exfoliant
- Helps to even out skin tone
- Keeps acne at bay

Need I go on? Ok, well it's also great if you suffer from insomnia. Mix 1/2 a teaspoon with a little cinnamon, a pinch of ground spice and a cup of milk, heat in the microwave and enjoy a restful night, zzzzzz.

What to do
Adapted from this recipe (btw this blog has a whole heap of natural remedies so be sure to check her out if you have a sec) this is all you need for a little weekly skin pick-me-up:

1 tablespoon flour (I used rice flour)
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon tumeric
A squeeze of honey

Mix it all together to form a paste then slap a thin layer all over your face. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse off.

I used a spoon to smooth it on to prevent staining my hands - don't be worried about the tumeric staining your face, you'll be fine with a thin layer and a thorough wash :-)


My favourite part...cracking the mask when it's dry. Best to do this over a sink to catch any fallen bits. The glamorous side of beauty, eh?


After just one application my skin was noticeably more even in tone. And by the second week my breakouts had stopped. SCORE! Needless to say i'm now doing this treatment once a week.

And the best part? It's pretty much free. Or at the very least you'll need to invest in a jar of turmeric that'll last you for months. Muy bien indeed.

Happy Monday x

1 comment:

  1. Your skin is glowing here, I am going to have to try this!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Big love,

Clazzerati xx